Somaliland politicians made a grave mistake in 1960 by joining the ill-fated union, 57 years have passed since then and the people of Somaliland have tremendously survived as a result to these day. It’s now 26 years since Somaliland re-established its independence, successive governments and the citizens have accomplished much since then, but again many matters on the part of the state need to be addressed. If the outstanding issues at hand aren’t urgently address, we risk losing our statehood for the second time hence our enemy capitalizing on our weakness.
The Idea of SOMALILAND-FIRST (or MAXAA SOMALILAND U DANA) consists of 10 committees and their tasks are reforming or correcting these areas, and they are as follow: –
Somalis have a saying which goes, NABAD IYO CAANO (or PEACE AND MILK). Security is one of the pillars of development and governance. Without peace and security there will be no rule of law or development hence the need to uphold our security. Maintaining our security should not be the responsibility any particular one group, political or which serves the personal interests. Therefore, in order to establish unflinching peace and security, we need to create A NATIONAL SECURITY COMMISSION, which shall in turn be working directly with the House of Elders (The future_GOLAHA GUURTIDA).
NATIONAL SECURITY COMMISSION WILL CONSISTS: –
- City Safety Committee, selected by the residents of each community.
- Municipality: Mayor and City Councilors.
- Military officers in the towns where they are based.
- Ministry of Interior, Regional Governors, and Police officials (Districts).
- Chiefs and Elder (Rural Areas).
To implement these points, the law regulates this agency should be created and passed.
A Somali’s saying which says: ‘RAG CADAALAD WAAYAY SIDII CAWSHA KALA YAAC’ (MEN WHO ARE SUBJECTED TO INJUSTICE SCATTER LIKE ANTELOPES), or ‘No Justice No Peace’. Now, the judiciary should be independent from government and politician’s interference. Task of this committee should be:
- Training the staff of the Justice department; Judges, Attorney Generals, etc.
- To find ways the justice employees to earn sufficient wages.
- To implement the judgment of the courts, by working with the GOLAHA GUURTIDA and the House of Representatives.
- And Finally, the public will file their complaints if justice isn?t served.
To implement these points, the Article of the Constitution that address Justice should be amended.
This committee should consists a panel of experts that develops a strong economy. The task of this committee should be:
- Create Investment Bank (or Somaliland Development Bank). A Bank that will be responsible for doing assessment and implementation of projects which the country needs, and distribute shares to those willing to buy them. These projects shall include: Berbera cement factory; Implementing power plans; Implementation and modernizing Agriculture, Fisheries and Livestock husbandry; establishing small factories such as flour, pasta, and etc.
- And also the law regulates this agency should be created and passed.
- Creating/encourage Somaliland Cooperation; to fulfill projects that one individual can’t.
- Approval / Implementation of the investment and the economy Acts.
- Approval / Implementation Commercial Banks Act.
- Approval / Implementation of Trade, Insurance, corporate Acts.
The Somaliland constitution was drafted during a fragile time when most citizens were living in refugee camps and foreign countries. However, the document is still a draft, and it needed to be completed. As a result, the committee should consist panel of experts which re-examine the Constitution. The constitution must be overhauled so as to overcome the existing contradictory factors and barriers to the development of the country.
5- HOUSE OF ELDERS
The Article of the Constitution that address GOLAHA GUURTIDA (The House of Elders) should be amended, especially the clauses that deals with how we elect the members of, the allocations of seats and powers.
The members of the ‘GOLAHA GUURTIDA’ should be selected body from Somaliland intellectuals.
THE POWERS OF THE HOUSE OF ELDERS (The future _GOLAHA GUURTIDA):
- GOLAHA GUURTIDA (The house of elders) should counter check the balance and power of the government (Executive Branch)?and the House of Representatives (or politicians) to protect and uphold the constitution and the law.
- They should review and approve every bill forwarded to them by the House of Representatives.
- They should give special consideration to every bill which the House the Representatives fails to approve. If for instance the GOLAHA GUURTIDA ?approve the bill for 2/3 times, the bill should be referred back to the House of Representatives to passed into law.
- The members of the GOLAHA GUURTIDA ?should consult with the Somaliland Intellectuals.
THESE INDEPENDENT COMMISSIONS SHOULD FALLING UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF THE GOLAHA GUURTIDA (THE HOUSE OF ELDERS): –
- MEDIA COMMISSION.
- TENDER BOARD COMMISSION.
- GOOD GOVERNANCE AND ANTI CORRUPTION COMMISSION.
THESE STATE AGENCIES/PASTORALS SHOULD ALSO FALL UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF THE HOUSE OF ELDERS: –
- OFFICE OF AUDITOR GENERAL.
- AGENCY OF TAXES COLLECTIONS AND ENFORCEMENT.
- AGENCY CIVIL SERVANT.
- CENTRAL BANK.
Somaliland embraces democracy, therefor the Law that Regulates Political Parties should be appended in order to make sure political organization belong to voters/citizens hence the need to include the following:-
- The chairman and deputy of political organizations should not vie for the party’s Presidential Candidacy. Or he/she should resign his post one year before election is held.
- Supporters of each political party should register, and these supporters should select delegates of their political party. Therefore, the political party’s delegates should be selecting the Party?s central committee, local council candidates, MPs and as well as Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates.
7- TAX COLLECTION & TAX LAWS ENFORCEMENT AGENCY
The establishment of tax collection agency which is independent from outside interference. Citizen who affords should be taxed, and tax rates should be reasonable hence not being a burden to the people. The tax collection agency will be tasked with collecting taxes for the local and central government through a modern tax collection system. And the law regulates this agency should be created and passed by both houses.
8- CIVIL SERVANT AGENCY
The civil service commission should be self-regulating and whose powers are:
- Training and capacity building for civil servants.
- To make sure workers earn sufficient wages.
- Hiring and sacking of workers.
- Establishing working time, and should be from 7 Am – 2:00 Pm.
The law regulates this agency should be created and passed.
9- MUNICIPAL & CENTRAL GOVERNMENTS
The local governments should be reformed,
- The Mayor and Deputy Mayor should be directly elected by citizens.
- The number of councilmen should be reduce by half. And
The law regulates this agency should be created and passed.
The executive branch (OR CENTRAL GOVERMENT) should have a SLIM CABINET. The cabinet should not exceed 15 Ministers, 5 Presidential advisors and 30 Director Generals. No need for Deputy Ministers and State Ministers. And also the law regulates this agency should be created and passed by both houses.
10- RELIGION & TRADITIONAL LEADERS COMMISSIONS
Religion & traditional leaders commissions should be created, and the law regulates these COMMISSIONS should be created and passed.
LONG LIVE SOMALILAND (SOMALILAND HA NOOLATO)!!!!!!!
Somaliland Citizens Click HERE to support these REFORMS
Friends of Somaliland Click HERE to support these REFORMS
This post is also available in: Somali